Whether you forgot to pick up cream cheese from the supermarket, don’t like it or don’t care to use it for some other reason, this smoked salmon dip without cream cheese is an excellent recipe that hits all the beats of a classic bagel topping and is super simple to make.
I like to throw the whole thing together in the food processor and, doing this, it takes under ten minutes to make. However, you just as easily could make it without a food processor and I’ll outline how to do that below.
So if you’re looking for a delicious dip to serve with crackers or bagel chips, this one is sure to be a quick hit!
How to Make Smoked Salmon Dip without Cream Cheese
The entirety of this dip is assembled in a food processor and it’s super easy.
While it will only take about five to ten minutes to make, keep in mind that you do need to chill the dip for at least an hour before serving so don’t plan to make it right as your guests are arriving!
The first step is to add some plain Greek yoghurt, mayonnaise, and some capers, a roughly chopped shallot, fresh dill and chives and, a bit of an unconventional ingredient, miso paste (available online here) to the bowl of a food processor.
Miso adds a bit of cheesiness that replicates the flavour you would get from using cream cheese (it’s the same reason I use it in recipes like my spinach artichoke dip).
Also, make sure to use Greek yoghurt rather than regular yoghurt as you want a thicker, strained variety to get the right consistency for the dip.
Season generously with black pepper (I don’t add any additional salt as both miso paste and smoked salmon are plenty salty as they are) and then pulse a few times until everything is smooth.
If you making this without a food processor, simply very finely chop all of the ingredients and then whisk it all vigorously until creamy and smooth.
Scrape down the sides of the food processor. Then, add your roughly chopped smoked salmon and a bit of lemon juice.
Pulse again until everything is smooth and homogenous. Taste to adjust for seasoning, adding more lemon juice or salt and pepper as you see necessary.
And if you’re not using a food processor, simply chop the salmon very finely and whisk it (and the lemon juice) to combine with the other ingredients.
Transfer the dip to an airtight container and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving. This allows the flavours to meld a bit but also allows the dip to thicken and become slightly more spreadable.
Serve with some crackers or some bagel chips. It also is great smeared over a toasted bagel or some sourdough bread!
- 200g (2/3 cup) plain Greek yoghurt
- 50g (1/4 cup) mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon capers in brine, drained and thoroughly rinsed
- 1 small shallot, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoon fresh chives, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon white miso paste
- 100g (3.5oz) smoked salmon, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- In the bowl of a food processor (see note 1), combine the yoghurt, mayonnaise, capers, shallot, dill, chives, miso paste and a generous grind of black pepper.
- Pulse until the capers and shallots are finely diced and the mixture is creamy, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Add the salmon and the lemon juice. Pulse until the salmon is well combined and the mixture is luscious and creamy.
- Transfer the dip to an airtight container and refrigerate for at least one hour before serving with crackers or small toasts. Garnish with more chopped dill and chives, if desired.
- If you don't have a food processor, very finely chop the capers, shallot, dill, chives and salmon. Combine all the ingredients into a large bowl and whisky vigorously to combine.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 63Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 6mgSodium: 288mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 3g
Nutritional information is automatically generated and provided as guidance only. Accuracy is not guaranteed.
And that’s all that’s required to make this delicious smoked salmon dip recipe without cream cheese! It’s a simple and tasty dip that’s perfect for an array of occasions.
Are you looking for a great salmon dip recipe? Have any questions? Let me know in the comments!