If you’re looking for a delicious and uniquely flavoured topping for ice cream (or any dessert, really) then this miso caramel sauce without cream is the perfect thing.
Completely dairy-free and vegan, this caramel sauce swaps butter and heavy cream with coconut oil and coconut cream. And while salted caramel is absolutely delicious, I’ve cut the sweetness in this sauce by incorporating a bit of funky miso paste.
This caramel sauce is also a lot less finicky to make than other caramels I’ve covered on this website (like my chewy caramels or caramel popcorn) and comes together in about 15 minutes – not accounting for the time it takes to cool.
So if you’re looking for a delicious, easy caramel sauce recipe without cream, this is the one for you. Once you make it, you’re sure to be looking for excuses to put it on virtually anything!
How to Make Miso Caramel Sauce without Cream
What makes this caramel sauce easier than other homemade caramels is the fact that it’s a dry caramel, meaning that there is no water added.
This means you don’t need to be as concerned about crystallisation as you would with a wet caramel and you can (and should) stir to your heart’s content.
To get started, add a bit of sugar to the bottom of a small saucepan. Set the pan over medium-high heat and keep on the heat until you see the sugar begin to melt and spots begin to look wet.
Use a spoon to cover these wet spots with a bit more sugar, continuing this process until all of your sugar is added to the pan.
Then, using a heatproof spatula, stir the sugar to encourage it to caramelise and melt completely. It will clump and look a bit like wet sand initially – this is okay and normal.
Just keep stirring the sugar until the large crystals dissolve completely and the caramel is smooth and turns a deep amber colour.
As soon as the sugar reaches this stage, remove the pot from the heat and immediately add in some coconut oil and coconut cream.
These two ingredients are perfect substitutes for butter and heavy cream when making a vegan caramel sauce. They also lend a wonderful coconut flavour to the finished sauce.
The caramel will sputter and steam when these are added so be careful but don’t be alarmed.
This is also the time to add in your miso paste, which will add a saltiness and umami that really cuts the cloying sweetness that caramel sauce can have.
Keep stirring with the spatula until the oil, coconut cream and miso paste are thoroughly incorporated and the sauce is dark, smooth and silky.
Then, pour into a heatproof container and allow to cool to room temperature before using.
It may seem pretty runny at first, but as it cools it will turn into a thick caramel sauce without cream that is still easy to drizzle over all kinds of fruits and desserts.
- 200g (1 cup) granulated sugar
- 50g (3 tablespoons) virgin coconut oil
- 150ml (1/2 cup) coconut cream
- 15g (1 tablespoon) white miso paste
- Pour half of the sugar into a small saucepan, ensuring that it is evenly distributed over the bottom. Set over medium-high heat and cook until the sugar begins to melt in spots. As soon as the sugar begins to melt, sprinkle more sugar over the wet spots.
- Once all of the sugar is added, use a heatproof spatula to stir the mixture until the sugar is all melted and caramelised. Note that the sugar will clump and crystalise at first but it will dissolve and smooth out as it cooks.
- When the sugar is deep amber and smooth, remove it from the heat and immediately add the coconut oil, coconut cream and miso paste. Mix with a heatproof spatula until well combined.
- Pour into a heatproof bowl and allow to cool completely before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 161Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 52mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 0gSugar: 25gProtein: 0g
Nutritional information is automatically generated and provided as guidance only. Accuracy is not guaranteed.
And that’s how to make homemade caramel sauce without heavy cream! This recipe is easy and full of unique and delicious flavours.
Are you looking for a caramel miso sauce recipe? Have any questions about this recipe? Let me know in the comments!